In a telemarketing sales effort, when the selling price of an item or service is higher, you can use lead finders as the initial call. They are usually paid less than sales closers are, but you should give them some incentive to do the job to the best of their ability. Compensation for lead generation can be a set amount for each qualified lead or a percentage of the sales that are closed. Some of the advantages of lead finders are:
- They can qualify prospects to see whether they are possible customers.
- They can validate your call list and help you delete obsolete businesses and phone numbers.
- They can record changed addresses and phone numbers.
- They can find the correct decision maker by name and extension.
- They can make several calls, if necessary, to reach the decision maker.
- They can create interest in your product or service.
- They can set up the sale for the closer or salesperson.
- They can evaluate the lead and rate it on a scale of one to four.
- They can help you build your mailing list with interested prospects.
If a prospect is ready to buy, a salesperson or closer should be available to accept the call right away. Don’t leave the prospect on hold too long, or he may get cold feet and hang up. Develop a system where the closer will be on the phone with the prospect within ten seconds. Once the prospect decides not to buy and hangs up, it’s will be difficult to get him back on the phone.
Lead finders are an important part of your telemarketing program, so keep them happy and well compensated. If you are having a lunch or dinner meeting with your face-to-face sales reps, include the lead finders. They are the ones who open the first door, and they should share in the benefits. Everyone should work as a team for the best results, and all levels of your sales staff should know each other.