Unless you’re in a retail-store business, you and your staff will probably have to make cold calls to get new business. Direct mail will set the stage for a cold call, but you have to make the call. By following a few basic rules, you’ll get more sales or appointments than your average salesperson.
- Believe in yourself and know that you can make the cold call successful.
- Believe in your company and the products and services you’re presenting.
- Decide in advance whether you want to close a sale or set an appointment.
- Keep the call short and to the point. Explain why you’re calling and how it will benefit the prospect.
- Stop and listen for a response—let the prospect talk.
- Answer any questions promptly. Don’t hesitate or hide anything.
- Expect to win, and you will most of the time.
- Don’t take rejection personally; just go on to the next call.
Make several cold calls, one after the other. Once you get in the rhythm, the momentum will make each call easier. Stay positive and practice the Golden Rule.