There are many positions in botanical gardens and arboretums that would be of interest to scholars. Although job titles can vary from institution to institution, some of the common designations follow.
ADMINISTRATION AND FACILITIES
- Director. Provides leadership and is responsible for policy making, funding, planning, organizing, staffing, and directing activities throughout the institution.
- Assistant Director. Responsible for operations, which may include finance, personnel, security, safety, and maintenance of facilities.
- Business Manager. Responsible for accounting, payroll, purchasing, personnel, and financial record keeping.
HORTICULTURE, CURATION OF COLLECTIONS
- Head of Horticulture. Directs the horticultural function of the institution, including the management of staff, programs, activities, and plant collections.
- Curator of Horticulture. Advises on care of plant collections and acquisitions.
- Plant Records Keeper. Maintains inventory of plants. Processes acquisitions, accession and deaccession, mapping, relocating, and labeling.
- Production Supervisor. Supervises the growing of plants in the nursery.
- Propagator. Propagates plant materials for collections.
- Horticulture Supervisor. Supervises garden workers, plans and schedules work assignments, and is responsible for equipment.
- Foreman. Directs labor crews in general groundskeeping tasks.
- Gardener. Responsible for the maintenance of a specialized plant area or collection.
- Arborist. Responsible for the care of trees, including trimming, transplanting, and removal.
- Head of Education. Responsible for several departments or programs. Supervises several education professionals and/or volunteers.
- Education Specialist. Responsible for a specific program. Supervises staff related to that program.
- Visitor Services Manager. Coordinates informational programs and services.